Most workshops, metal fabrication shops and lumberyards have some type of band saw. They are versatile tools that can cut a host of different materials and, because of their evenly toothed blade design, can provide uniform cuts making it ideal for production purposes.
Another feature of band saws is their ability to cut curved shapes, much like a jig saw. Band saws are available in a range of sizes and tooth pitches (tooth per inch/ TPI) and the vast majority of the models today are run by an electric motor.
In this post we review the best band saws (also known as bandsaws) for home and professional use. A functional workshop really needs a decent band saw, joinery would be almost impossible without and a jigsaw doesn’t have anywhere near the accuracy or ability. There’s no substitute for a band saw in the workshop.
So here is my choice of best band saws
Here we have compiled a list of band saws currently available on the UK market. We have included a brief written review for each product and links for you to click on if you wish to see more information on the product or if you would like to make a purchase.
1. Lumberjack Bandsaw BS254 Professional 254mm 10
This compact bandsaw is on sale for £313.16 and is the highest ranking band saw on Amazon based on customer feedback. It has a very large 150mm cutting depth capacity, a 254mm cutting width. The work table is made from precision ground cast iron and the blade guard has three sealed bearings to make your cuts very accurate. The table can be tilted from 90 degrees to 45 degrees and can be locked in at any angle between those two points. The electric induction motor runs nice and quietly and there is a built in LED light to help you work in low light conditions. The dust collection outlet can accept three different sizes of hose- 50mm, 75mm, 100mm diameter allowing it to be cleaned out easily.
- Very large 150mm cutting depth capacity
- 254mm cutting width
- Precision ground cast iron table tilts from 90 degrees to 45 degrees.
- Mains powered LED work light
- Quiet running electric induction motor
- Integral dust collection tray can be used with different sized hoses.
2. Dirty Pro Tools™ Professional Band Saw
Dirty Pro tools professional band saw is powered by a 350w electric motor and has a no load running speed of 1400rpm. The table measures 300mm x 300mm and can tilt to 45 degrees. This band saw is designed to be compact and lightweight at only 16 kilograms. It has a maximum cutting depth of 80mm and a cutting width of 190mm. Despite its low price of 109.99, the Dirty Pro tools bench top band saw is a great performer and cuts incredibly accurately, even at the full cutting depth, with no blade twist.
- No load running speed of 1400rpm
- 350 watt electric motor runs quietly
- Table can be tilted to 45 degrees
- maximum cutting depth of 80mm and a cutting width of 190mm
- Incredibly accurate cutting performance
- Lightweight bench top band saw- only 16 kilograms
- Low price for a great little tool
3. Draper 13773 200mm 250W 230V Two Wheel Bandsaw
The Draper 13773 band saw comes with a 5mm thick 6tpi blade, sturdy guide rail, push stick, mitre gauge, rip fence and dust extraction outlet. The table can tilt to 45 degrees and is made from sturdy cast and ground aluminium. Aluminium is a material that is known to be rust and corrosion resistant so it should have a long working life. This product comes with Draper tools guarantee.
- 5mm thick 6tpi blade cuts well
- Comes with a mitre gauge, rip fence, push stick and dust extraction outlet
- Table is made from rust resistant cast and ground aluminium
- Table can tilt to 45 degrees for angles cutting
- Draper tools guarantee
- Weighs under 20 kilograms
- Two wheeled band saw
4. Charnwood B250 10'' Woodworking Bandsaw
For 376.99 you can buy this 375w electric motor powered, woodworking band saw from Charnwood. It has a cutting depth capacity of 6” and a cutting width of 10” and a blade guide with 3 sealed bearings that ensure an accurate cutting performance. Two of these bearings are placed on the side of the blade to prevent it twisting while cutting. The cast iron work table tilts for angled cuts from 90-45 degrees and can be locked at any locked in at any angle between. The guide fence can be put on either side of the blade for rip cuts and a press of a lever locks it in position. Included with the band saw is a crosscutting mitre guide.
- Cast iron work table
- Table tilts from 90-45 degrees and can be locked in any position between
- Rip cut guide fence can be situated at either side of the blade
- Crosscutting mitre guide included
- 375 watt electric motor runs quietly
- Large cutting capacity
- 3 sealed bearings support the blade for cutting accuracy
For a low price of 128 pounds you can be the proud owner of this bench top band saw from Silverline. Powered by a 350w electric induction motor, this band saw has a cutting width of 190mm and a depth of 80mm. The cutting table is 300mm x 300mm and can be tilted. The saw comes with a 6tpi blade, converter plug, push stick, mitre gauge, and instructional manual. The products dimensions are 0.3 x 0.4 x 0.8 cm and it weighs 17.5 kilograms.
- Low price of 180 pounds
- 350w electric induction motor
- 80mm cutting depth and 190mm cutting width
- 300 x 300mm cutting table
- Tilting cutting table
- Bench top band saw weighs under 20 kilograms
- Comes with 6tpi blade, push stick, converter plug, mitre gauge and instruction manual
So there you have it, our picks for the five best band saws available in the UK at the present time. As time goes by and new products come onto the market, we will update this and the other pages on this site.
We hope you found the reviews helpful and informative, but if you would like some more information you can click on the inks provided. This will take you to a page with more customer reviews, product photos/videos and you can also purchase products there if you would like to.