Best decking treatment to remove algae and mould (September 2020 Updated Review)
Following on from the best decking cleaner, you’ll need the best decking treatment and oil to back it up! A quality decking treatment will penetrate deep into your wood providing excellent protection against rot and decay and not to mention leave your decking looking super healthy and new. The best decking treatment will be coat-able in a couple of hours and last a good few years before requiring sealing again. It should withstand fair wear and tare. It’s also worth using a high quality wood preservative prior to oiling too.
Here’s my review of the best decking treatments
Let us take a look at the features and desirability of the 5 top decking treatments available on Amazon.
1. Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil Natural 5L
- Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil provides superior, natural looking protection, for a longer lasting finish. Its unique formula penetrates deeper into the wood to provide increased durability.
- The oil penetrates deep inside the wood which means it gives better adhesion to your deck throughout the year. With its unique, never seen before water based
- Linseed Oil technology, it colours and waterproofs your deck in one fell swoop and can be applied with brush or roller.
- Within 90 minutes, it gives your deck a more natural look and makes it rainproof, with a re-coat applied after 4 hours. This decking oil is primarily for use on pre-treated decking. You should make sure your deck has been cleaned and scrubbed thoroughly before using this oil. This would open pores of the wood, allowing the oil to be absorbed better.
- It is recommended you test a small area to determine the final colour which may be influenced by the texture, grain, colour and porosity, type of wood and previous treatment.
- The Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil has proven to be the people’s choice with its excellent quality and outstanding results.
2. Liberon DOCL5L Decking Oil
- The Liberon DOCL5L Decking Oil carries with it all the expertise and quality of the
- Liberon brand. It contains UV filters that reduce discolouration and sun damage, all the while maintaining the fine finish. These filters protect almost all types of timber decking.
- The oil feeds into and protects the deck from damage. It enhances its natural beauty while reviving and restoring the original colour of the deck.
- You can use a brush or a roller to apply this oil on your deck. With a drying time of 15 minutes between coats, and 24 hours in total, you can finish up your decking job over the weekend without any hassle.
- This product is as suitable outside as it is for decking. You can use it with a range of garden products, fences, gates, patios, hot tubs etc. IT is extremely adaptable and versatile.
- Over time the traditional Liberon formulas, derived from natural ingredients, have continually evolved to meet the technical, performance and aesthetic requirements of today’s consumers. This is evident when we use the Liberon DOCL5L Decking Oil, which suits all types of home from the ultra modern to the traditional, all with the assurance of Liberon high quality and superior finish.
3. Everbuild LJUN05 5Ltr Lumberjack Triple Action Wood Treatment
- It is a low solvent and low odour solution based.
- It’s advanced active technology along with added algaecides and fungicides helps kill and protect against decay and woodworm.
- The triple action wood treatment is far ahead of other standard wood preservation treatments as the fungicides and algaecides present in these formulations are finely disseminated so that wood penetration and hence its effectiveness is much greater.
- This decking oil dries up very fast and is non flammable.
- It can be applied to wet timber without any fear of lack of performance.
- It is specifically designed to deeply penetrate all wood and protect from the damage caused by fungi, wood boring insects or larvae.
- With product dimensions of 30.5 x 18 x 11 cm and a weight of 5kg, it can be easily stored after use. It is not bulky and does not take up much space.
- With over 188 4 – star and above customer reviews, this decking oil has clearly emerged as a fan favourite among Amazon customers.
4. Roxil Wood Protection Liquid
- The Roxil Wood Protection Liquid is a watery silicone emulsion.
It is used to protect wood from the undesirable effects of moisture (such as rot and decay).
- It waterproofs the wooden deck and maintains its natural shine and appearance.
- This prevents the wood from swelling which in turn reduces warping, limiting cracking and therefore offering protection against deeper moisture and rot.
- Once sprayed, it reduces organic growth on the deck and helps in preventing growth of mould and algae.
- Roxil Silicone Wood Protector can be applied by brush or spray. It is important to check and make sure that the deck is clean and dry before application. Shake well before use.
- It can be easily applied; with two coats being adequate for optimum coverage. Make sure to apply the second coat while the first coat is still wet, typically within 30 minutes.
- After application the silicone will penetrate into the wood and form a water repellent barrier. The deck will be able to fully repel water after about one month from application. It is not advisable to apply the decking oil if rain is forecast.
- This product has a long lifetime – lasting up to 10+ years on both softwood and hardwood.
- It is non biocidal and is recommended for use on softwood, including water susceptible species such as pine / douglas fir / oak / red cedar. It will keep your wooden deck protected and good looking year after year.
5. Blackfriar BKFASDC25L Anti-Slip Deck Coating
- Blackfriar Anti – Slip Deck Coating is a clear deck coating.
- This transparent coating allows the wood to show through while providing a surface that is slip-resistant.
- It provides excellent coverage and the micro-aggregate yields slip resistance.
- Once you apply the oil, you will realise that it spreads out as a very fine, gritty surface over your deck. However, this does not irritate the bare skin, yet still maintains its integrity in being slip resistant. It will stop you from falling during rain / snow, and provide a grip for your shoes, but it will not feel rough if you sit on it.
- It has an excellent finish that will naturally enhance your deck’s original colour.
- Before applying the product, make sure your deck is washed and dried. Do not use this product if there is a forecast of rain. Once you have made sure of it, apply two coats spaced 30 minutes apart for maximum absorption into the wood.
- The Blackfriar Anti – Slip Deck Coating Oil will not only stop you from slipping during rain/ snow, it will also protect your deck from water damage and growth of algae. It penetrates deep into the wood to be able to protect it for a long time.
- This product is suitable for exterior timber decking and walkways. It is easy to use and its container is not bulky, allowing compact storage.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our review of the best decking treatment. We have also highlighted a fair few quality product that’ll help you along the way with your decking maintenance and should leave your decking in tip top condition for years to come. Remember maintenance is always much cheaper than replacement long term!