Best surface water pumps (November 2020 Updated Review)
This article was last updated on October 3rd, 2021 at 6:07 am
Best surface water pumps
If you’re trying to move surface water such as that from a pond then a surface water pump is the way forward(with a layflat hose). Surface water pumps are not to be confused with supply booster or submersible pumps. Surface water pumps help remove water on the surface, it’s as simple as that. The best surface water pumps have a quality flow rate, low on power consumption and maintenance, whilst delivery continuous uninterrupted power for extended times and based on those needs I have reviewed the best surface water pumps to help you.
Water pumps are very important as they help to pull up the much-needed water that can be used for various things. So, while you are thinking of buying a water pump the first thing you need to do is figure out your needs and requirements. These days, there are several water pumps that are available in the market. Here we are going to talk about the surface water pumps which are used by a lot of people. We will provide a short buying guide and along with that, we will also list some of the best surface water pumps that are available in the market. It will definitely help you in choosing a great surface pump if you were looking for one. So, let us begin with it.
Buying Guide for a Water Surface Pump:
A surface pump is a device that helps to take out water from a water body, like a well, a river or a pool and make that water reach different destinations. It can be used to take out water for household tasks or for usage in a garden or even for taking out wastewater. The main idea of a surface pump is that it sits on the surface rather than being submerged in the water body. So, they may be also called surface water drainage pumps. The water is taken out by the help of rotating turbines or impellers which create a suction. A surface water pump can be used in a water body that measures 8m in depth or less.
Points to keep in mind while buying a surface water pump:
When you are trying to buy a surface water pump you have to know about the important characters that are contained in it. Pumps may often have different specifications that are meant to do different things. So, here are some of the points that are important when you are planning to buy a surface water pump:
- Mono-cellular or Multicellular Pumps: The first thing that you have to think about a pump is the purpose of the pump. Mono-cellular pumps have a single turbine or impeller which creates the suction whereas the multicellular pumps have a dual impeller. Mono-cellular pumps tend to be noisy but they are good for household works. Multicellular pumps on the other hands are great for gardens or open plots and they are more efficient, these are normally petrol pumps.
- Discharge Height and Supply Height: When you are buying a pump, it is important to know about its discharge height and supply height. The discharge height stands for the height difference that is present between the water surface and the height at which the water will be evacuated. The supply height stands for the depth of the water body from which the pump will take out the water.
- Flow rate and pressure: When you are buying a pump it is apparent that you will want it to be powerful and efficient while taking out the water. Definitely check out the flow rate and pressure of the pump that you are going to buy. Reading the surface water pumps reviews will help you to figure these out.
- Water Quality: While purchasing a pump you need to be sure about the water that you will be pumping out from the water body. Pumps may get highly damaged if the water has large particles which it cannot take. So, make sure to check if it is meant for clean water, loaded water or highly-charged water.
- Materials Used: A pump is an investment so you will want it to be durable so that you can use it for a long time. Make sure to read more about the materials used in the pump and also about its efficiency. Stainless steel and cast iron tend to be the best options.
- Power Supply: Pumps are often equipped single phase or three phase power supply. Make sure that the pump has thermal protection so that the pump doesn’t get harmed when there is a problem in power connection. Also, try to learn if they are powered by electricity or are they solar powered surface water pumps.
- Other features: There are several other features that you have to check for like the decibel level at which the pump operates, automatic priming, etc.
- Budget: You just cannot go for the very first surface water pump that you see in the market. It is always important to look at the budget. You do not need to spend a lot on the pump if you do not have to use it for heavy duty work. Check out the reviews and get a pump that has great specifications and comes at a good price point.
Advantages of Surface water pumps:
- Surface water pumps are quite affordable
- Surface water pumps are great for a water body which is below 8m
- It is easy to maintain and access a surface water pump
- Solar surface water pumps are also found
Disadvantages of Surface Water Pumps:
- They tend to take in a lot of energy
- As they are external pumps, they can get damaged due to environmental factors
- So, these are a few of the things that you have to remember when you are searching for the surface water pumps. Next, we will mention some of the best surface water
- pumps that are available in the market. Look for ‘surface water pumps UK’ on the internet to know more about these pumps.
Best Surface Water Pumps Available Right Now:
1. Karcher GP 50 MC Surface Water Pump for Garden Watering & Drainage :
Specification: Motor: 1100watt, Flow rate: 4000l/h, Pressure: 4.7bar, Depth of suction: 9m, Max. flow height: 47m,
Karcher surface water pumps are regarded as one of the best pumps available in the market. They are a company that is known for giving out quality products that will last for a long time.It is very easy to install this water pump by the desired water body. There is an on-off switch that can be operated by one’s foot. It has a carry handle and the design has been made in such a way that it will last a long time. It is one of the surface water pumps that are great for garden and hose usage. If someone is looking forward to using it unsupervised, they can do so as well with the help of the timer.
The pump is meant for taking out clean water from static water bodies. It has a flow rate of 1000 litres of water per hour and the flow height is 47 m. The pressure rating is of 4.7 bars which is great. The remote control timer is definitely a great addition to this pump. The pump does come with 1/2″ garden hose pipes and an AquaStop universal hose connector. One can also mount the pump near a wall or the surface of the water body.
What we like:
- The pump has a flow rate of 1000 litres
- The pressure rating is 4.7 bar
- The pump with a remote control timer
- The on/off switch can be operated by your foot
- The easy carry handle
What we do not like:
- It needs to be quite close to the water body
2. Draper 56227 100-Litres-per-Minute 1,000-Watt 230-Volt Multi-Stage Surface-Mounted Pump £202.18
Specification: Motor: 1000 watt, Flow rate: 100 l/min, Output elbow: 25mm/1″bsp, Max. flow height: 48 m
If you are looking for good water pumps in the market, then you may go for the draper surface water pumps because they are known for their quality. This particular model is also known for the job that it does for several people who want to take out water for home and garden usage.The on/off switch on this pump is waterproof so that it doesn’t sustain any damages. The pump is protected from thermal overload so that it doesn’t get harmed when there is a problem in power supply. The pump has 4 double-insulated impellers which are protected from corrosion and rust. It comes fitted with a 1.5 m cable so that it can be connected to a water supply. The pump has the ability to pump out 100 litre of water per minute.
The pump is auto-priming, so you wouldn’t need to think about that. One can get extra accessories from Draper Tools which will help them to bring efficiency to the work that they need.
What we like:
- The pump is great for home and garden use
- It has 4 double-insulated impellers
- It can pump out 100 litres of water in a minute
- The pump also has the auto-priming ability
What we do not like:
- The pump is pricey
- It doesn’t come with any hose
3. RIBILAND 03216 Surface Green 600 Watt Water Pump £66.53:
Specification: Motor: 600 watt, Flow rate: 2460 l/hr, Pressure: 3.1 bar, Depth of suction: 7 m, Max. flow height: 31 m,
If you are looking for electric surface water pumps, then you may like this pump offered by Ribiland. This is a great option for those people who generally look for things that are affordable and durable. Surface water pumps prices may raise a lot but this doesn’t. You can easily mount this pump beside a water surface and it will do its job well.
It has a speed of 2850 rotations per minute which is great. The maximum water that the pump is able to suck out in an hour is 2460 litres. The maximum head of this pump is 31 m. It can easily suction out water from a water body that goes till 7 meters. It comes with a 1.4 m cable for the power supply. One will need to buy the output and input hoses on their own. A great thing about the pump is that it is durable and it will last with the user for a long time.What we like:
- It is quite efficient as it sucks out 2460 litres per hour
- The pump is durable
- It is quite affordable
- The company provides a one year warranty
What we do not like:
- Users will need to buy the hoses
4. Sealey WPB062S 55ltr/min Stainless Steel Surface Mounting Booster Pump £160.11:
Specification: Motor: 800 watt, Flow rate: 3300 l/hr, Outlet OD: 1″BSP, Depth of suction: 8m, Max. flow height: 38m,
Here is yet another option among the surface mounted water pumps which will stand out. It is much loved by people because of its power. It is made from stainless steel, so we cannot even complain about its build quality.It is made from corrosion resistant materials which are heavy-duty. It can be used both for home water needs as well as garden water needs. There is a pressure auto cut off valve which is quite useful. The pump can suction out about 55 litres or 12 gallons of water per minute which amounts to about 3300 litres of water per hour. The pressure tank present in this pump is of 24 litres. It can take up water from a depth of 8 meters and below. It comes with a removable filter which helps in cleaning of the water. There is also a drainage valve which helps in clearing off the stored water.
Another great thing about this pump is that it can be considered an option among other surface water source heat pumps. It can suction out hot water till 35°C. The bar rating of this pump is 2 bar.
What we like:
- The stainless steel construction which is corrosion free
- The pump sucks out 3300 litres of water in an hour
- The removable and replaceable water filter
- The pump has the ability to such hot water
What we do not like:
- The user will need to buy the hoses
5. Karcher BP 5 Home & Garden £285.47:
Specification: Motor: 1000 watt, Max. Flow rate: < 6000 l/h, Discharge head/pressure (max.): 48/4.8 m/bar, Depth of suction: 8m,
This is the second Karcher product that we are mentioning over here. The product is great as we already mentioned about the reputation of the company. By the name you can understand that it is meant to be used for home and garden.The pump does come with a pre-filter to get rid of any impurities. It also doesn’t make much sound when it is running. It has auto shut-off if someone requires it. The maximum flow rate of this pump is 6000 litres of water per hour. The maximum temperature that it can take is 35 °C. The pressure bar rating of this pump is 4.8. It does have a comfortable foot switch. The company provides a 5-year warranty with this pump and they make great pressure washers too.
What we like:
- The output of 6000 L of water per hour
- The pressure bar rating of 4.8
- The pump comes comfortable foot switch and auto on/off
- The 5-year warranty
What we do not like:
- It is a little pricey
So, here are some of the surface water pumps that you can currently get in the market. We will recommend you to read about them carefully before you take the decision to buy one. We hope that this will help you to find a surface water pump that meets your requirement.