Best self watering troughs to conserve water and save time (November 2020 Updated Review)
6 Best Self Watering Troughs
If you’d like to have nice blooming flowers and healthy looking plants but your schedule doesn’t give you time to keep them properly watered, you might want to think about investing in a self-watering trough or two.
Self-watering troughs / window boxes/ containers are based on a simple system where your soil or potting mix sits in a top section that is divided from, but fed by, a water reservoir in the bottom section of the trough. The plants then get fed a constant supply of moisture without the water evaporating. It’s a simple but very efficient and effective system.
With literally hundreds of different brands and models available, choosing the right one may prove difficult. That’s why we have decided to lend a helping hand and review a selection of the best ones for you.
1. Lechuza Colour Balconera Self Watering Balcony & Window Box Planter Pot
There is a visual indicator so you can easily monitor water levels and know when it’s time to top up the reservoir, and there is a drainage system and plug so you can get rid of any excess water, from rainfall for example, with no messing around.
The water from the reservoir is filtered through the included stones and fed to your plants automatically, there’s no need for you to do anything except watch your plants grow and refill from time to time.
The plant liner is removable which makes cleaning the trough much easier, and also helps when you’re planting too.
For the peace of mind for the environmentally friendly amongst us, Lechuza have made this product out of fully recyclable materials. As we mentioned above, you can buy this self-watering trough in two different sizes and four different colours- nutmeg, slate, white, and pistachio.
- Versatile trough and can be used indoors or outside
- Frost proof and UV resistant
- High quality materials
- Made from recyclable materials
- Drainage system and plug for getting rid of excess water
- Water level indicator to show you when it’s time to refill the reservoir
- Available in two different sizes and 4 colours
- Removable plant liner
2. Lechuza Premiuim Mini Deltini Self Watering Houseplant & Herb Indoor Planter Pot
- Very compact and lightweight
- Perfect for indoors
- Removable plant liner
- Weatherproof, frost proof, UV resistant
- Optimum water level indicator
- Drainage valve
- Comes with Lechuza-pon granules
3. Stewart Balconniere Trough
- Low price
- Made in the UK out of high grade materials
- Strong and sturdy
- Available in 2 sizes and 3 different colours
- Fully weather and UV proof and designed for outdoor use
- Self-draining of excess water
- Feeder tube fed reservoir
4. Santino Self Watering Planter CALIPSO
- Good quality product
- Weather and UV proof
- Large water reservoir means it will last over a month
- Unique ‘wick’ system works well to keep roots healthy
- Clear window for water level indication
- Available in 4 sizes and 7 colours
5. Cole & Mason Fresh Herb Range Self-Watering Potted Herb Keeper
- Excellent for keeping your herbs growing for 10 days
- Negates the need for time consuming repotting
- Simple and effective design
- Hydro-pads are removable and washable
- 12 pads are included in the box
- Made from metal not plastic
- Good price
6. Mkouo 3 Pack Self Watering Plant Pots
- 3 pots for under 15 pounds is great value for money
- Made from strong and durable Polypropylene
- Cotton rope feeder system works well
- Nice modern design will look good indoors or outside
- Weather and UV proof and can left outside
- Available in different sizes