Circular saws were invented at the end of the 18th century and over the next century grew in popularity, especially in American saw mills. These power tools are usually handheld but can used in a fixed/ stationary position and can used to cut wood, plastic, metal and masonry. There are special blades available for working each material. They use a toothed blade or disc, or sometimes an abrasive disc that spins around and cuts the material. They are great for making cross cuts, rip cuts, or a mix of the two in wood.
Below we have chosen the 5 products we think are the best in their category and reviewed them for you. Let’s make a start shall we?
1. TACKLIFE 1500W 4700RPM Circular Saw
The 1500 watt, copper wire motor in this Tacklife circular saw is a high performance machine capable of 4700RPM. Cutting perfectly straight lines has been made easy thanks to this product’s adjustable, integrated laser and scale ruler. The cutting depth is also adjustable and at different angles. At 90 degrees the cutting depth can be adjusted up to 63mm, and when angled at 45 degrees, the maximum cutting depth is 45mm. Unlike a lot of products in the same price range that have a plastic guard, the Tacklife 1500W circular saw’s guard is made from aluminium. This makes it more hard wearing and safer to use as well as improving thermal performance. The dust extraction feature helps to keep your work area tidy and dust out of your cutting lines. This circular saw saw comes with 2 blades- a 24 tooth blade for cutting wood, and a 40 tooth blade for working plastic and soft metal. It is priced at 49.99 with a 2 year warranty, and is worth every penny.
- Powerful 1500W copper wire motor running at 4700RPM
- adjustable, integrated laser and scale ruler
- Adjustable cutting depth and bevel
- Aluminium guard for increased longevity and safety
- Comes with 24 tooth and 40 tooth blades
- Dust extractor
- Rubberized handle for non-slip grip
- 2 year warranty
2. Makita HS7601J/2 190 mm Circular Saw with MakPac Carry Case
Weighing only 4 kilograms and having a compact design, this Makita circular saw is great for jobs where you have to be able to move the tool around easily. It has a 1200 watt motor with a no load speed of 5200 rpm and gives you enough cutting performance for all your general tasks. The bevel and cutting depth can be adjusted with a single lever, and the maximum cutting depths are- 66mm at 90 degrees, and 46mm at 45 degrees. The diameter of the bore is also 45mm. The grip is soft and the shape has been specially designed so that it fits ergonomically in the hand for long lasting comfort. In the rear of the saw there are dust ports to keep the dust away from your work and you, and you can also attach a vacuum cleaner with the dust nozzle. This circular saw also comes with its own Makpac carrying case and the tool fits nicely in there without too much struggle. The power lead supplied is long enough for most jobs and both the insulation and thickness are good. The key tool for changing blades is handily attached to the body of the saw so that it is always in reach.
- Well-built tool from Makita and will last a long time
- Lightweight and compact
- Cutting depth adjustable through a single lever
- Soft and ergonomic handle
- 45mm cutting bore, and 66mm / 45mm maximum cutting depths
- Dust ports in the rear to keep things tidy and can be attached to vacuum cleaner
- Comes with a storage/carry case
- motor does a great job of delivering power
3. Meterk Circular Saw
This Meterk circular saw gets its power from a 15amp, 1500 watt electric motor. It has a running speed of 4700RPM just like the Tacklife saw. In fact, there are many similarities to that saw and this one. They are both laser guided to ensure straight cuts, they both have adjustable cutting depths and bevel and cutting depths that can be adjusted up to 63mm at 90 degrees, and 45mm at 45 degrees. This model also comes with a parallel guide that can be attached. Like the Tacklife, it comes with a 24 tooth blade and a 40 tooth one, and also has an aluminium guard to keep it rust free. The handle on this Meterk circular saw has been well designed and it is both comfortable and practical, providing you with a great grip and clamping force while remaining easy to hold. The double safety switch is a nice feature and will help to prevent accidents. The rear sawdust outlet can connect to your vacuum cleaner to ensure a clean working environment.
- 15amp ,1500watt, 4700RPM motor gives plenty of power
- Laser guided for straight cuts
- Rear dust outlet connects to vacuum cleaner
- Adjustable cutting depth
- Adjustable cutting angle
- Comes with 24 tooth and 40 tooth blades
- Comfortable handle
- Aluminium top cover and steel blade guard
4. VonHaus 1200W 185mm Multi-Purpose Circular Saw
This VonHaus circular saw has a 18mm blade that can cut up to depths of 65mm. Powered by a 1200W motor that has a no load speed of 5000RPM, it can provide you with nice, clean cuts in a variety of materials. The bevel angle has multiple settings so you can get the right angle cut for the job and the metal guard helps to keep your hands safe. Also with safety in mind, this circular saw has a built in safety lock that stops the blade moving when you aren’t using it. There is a dust extraction facility like all our other models so you can work away without getting covered in dust, simply attach a dust bag to the outlet. Unlike a lot of circular saws, you don’t need a spindle wrench to change the blade on this model, it uses an Allen key instead.
- 1200 watt motor provides more than ample power to cut hardwood, MDF and Perspex
- Adjustable bevel angle
- 65mm maximum cutting depth
- Metal guard keeps the hands safe
- Safety brake locks blade when not in use
- Dust outlet keeps you and your work clean
- Easy to change blades