A lot of people buy their fish frozen and pre-filleted these days for convenience, but in my opinion you can’t beat a good bit of fresh fish purchased from the local fresh market, pier or even something you’ve caught yourself. There is also something very pure and natural about preparing fish yourself before you cook it and to do so, you need the right tool for the job- a fish filleting knife.
Having a good quality filleting knife is important. If you’ve ever tried to prepare a fish with a sub-standard knife, or one that isn’t specifically made for the job, you’ll know just how frustrating it can be. You’ll find that your cuts aren’t clean and waste meat, the blade will get stuck or sometimes slip, and it just makes everything more difficult.
So what to look for in a good filleting knife? Well first of all we want a good quality blade that’ll keep sharp and make precise, neat cuts. We also want the handle to be comfortable in the hand and provide a good grip. The knife should be weighted so that it feels balanced and easy to make slight adjustments while cutting.
Here we have compiled a list of the best fish filleting knives out there and reviewed them for you.
- Mercer Culinary Millennia Narrow Fillet Knife, 8-Inch
With a high quality, super sharp, 8 inch Japanese steel blade, and a durable handle made from a combination of polypropylene and Santoprene, the Mercer Culinary Millenia narrow fillet knife is a steal at only 12 pounds. With just the right mix of strength and flexibility in the blade, and an ergonomic handle that gives you a great grip, this filleting knife is hard to beat. The workmanship is excellent and the product will last you for years.
- Strong and flexible blade made from premium quality Japanese steel
- Razor sharp and easy to home up
- Ergonomic handle gives you a good grip and control whilst remaining comfortable
- Excellent value for money
- NFS certified and comes with a lifetime warranty
- Well known and trusted maker of culinary knives
- ProCook Gourmet X30 Filleting Knife | 20cm / 8in
ProCook’s gourmet X30 filleting knife is another great product for only 12 pounds on Amazon. This knife has been made to British design and specification and has a flexible blade made from X30 stainless steel, carbon and chrome, making it strong and corrosion resistant. The blade has been hardness tested and has a rating of 52+2 meaning it is very far from being brittle. The handle is contoured and non-slip with a weighted end to help counterbalance the blade and provide you with excellent control. ProCook are offering a 10 year guarantee with this product.
- V shape blade is good for left and right handed people
- Made to British design and specification
- Ergonomic non-slip handle
- Weighted end to counterbalance blade gives excellent control
- Constructed of X30 stainless steel which gives the blade flexibility and hardness
- 10 year Guarantee from ProCook
- Good price for such an excellent product
- DALSTRONG Filet Knife – 7″
For 49.97 you can be the proud owner of this 7 inch filleting knife by Dalstrong. The blade is an incredibly sharp, full tang and made from high carbon German steel that has been manufactured to 56+ Rockwell hardness. The imported black pakkawood handle looks and feels amazing and is built to last. The handle has been polished and laminated to make it perfect for sanitary use.
- High carbon german steel blade gives you incredible sharpness
- Hardened to Rockwell 56+ yet still flexible
- Imported pakkawood handle looks and feels amazing
- Laminated and polished for sanitary use
- Well balanced and easy to control
- Excellent build quality and workmanship
- Money back guarantee if not satisfied
- Richardson Sheffield Sabatier Trompette Filleting Knife
British brand Richardson Sheffield date back to 1839 and offer excellent knife design and manufacturing along with a 25 year guarantee. The martensitic blade is designed to remain sharp for a very long time and will also hone nicely without any hassle. The blade has been precision tapered so that it slices through meat with ease. This filleting knife is extremely strong and offers great balance.
- British made from a company with a long history of excellence
- 25 year guarantee
- Martensitic stainless steel blade is hard to blunt and easy to sharpen
- Solid and durable handle with extra-large rivet design
- Precision tapered to slice through meat
- Dishwasher safe
- Excellent quality product
- Victorinox 16 cm Flexible Blade Filleting Knife
This 16cm filleting knife from Victorinox can be yours for 15.49 on Amazon and offers great value for the price. The Polypropylene handle is hard wearing, comfortable to hold and can cleaned in your dishwasher. The blade is made from high carbon stainless steel so that the blade remains sharp for a long time to come and still remain flexible. This filleting knife is another premium quality product and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- High carbon steel blade has great edge retention and sharpness
- Polypropylene handle is durable and comfortable to hold
- Dishwasher safe
- Well-made filleting knife
- Lifetime warranty
- Lightweight and well balanced
- Mascot XM Boning Knife 6 Inch
Looking for something a bit more compact but still offering high quality workmanship and performance? Well look no further, the Mascot XM boning knife is just that. Sporting a pakkawood handle that is perfectly shaped to fit in your hand and with 3 rivets giving it stability, this is a knife you can work with for a long time. The German stainless steel blade has been precision engineered and hand polished and has a 58 Rockwell hardness. This knife has a lifetime warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.
- High quality pakkawood handle fits perfectly in the handle
- 6 inch blade and compact design
- Comes with its own display box
- Precision made German stainless steel blade
- Very hard and flexible blade
- Lifetime warranty and 30 day money back guarantee
- Blade is hand polished at 18 degrees each side and can be used by left and right handed people